The Dwight L. Freshley Award
SSCA Call For Nominations for the Dwight L. Freshley Outstanding New Teacher Award
The Dwight L. Freshley Outstanding New Teacher Award honors Southern States Communication Association members who have demonstrated teaching excellence early in their careers.
Nominations, including self-nominations are invited. Nominees must teach courses in communication and have taught full- time for at least two and not more than five years.
All nominees must be SSCA members in good standing.
- A single letter of nomination is required. Although this letter may be written by the nominee, most nomination letters are written by colleagues who know the nominee and can comment specifically upon the nominee’s qualifications.
- Each letter of nomination must be accompanied by the nominee’s current CV.
- A maximum of three (3) supporting letters may be submitted as well as no more than five (5) additional pages of supporting documentation.
- Finally, each nominee must submit a statement of not more than 500 words concerning her or his “Philosophy and Practice of Teaching.”
- Nominations, CVs, supporting letters, statement of “Philosophy and Practice of Teaching,” and any additional pages of supporting documentation should be submitted to Courtney Wright, Chair, Freshley Award Committee, no later than December 3, 2016. Materials shall be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
If your materials cannot be submitted electronically, please submit to each of the members of the committee such that the materials arrive for each member no later than December 3, 2016.
School of Communication Studies
University of Tennessee
293 Communications Building
1345 Circle Park
Knoxville, TN 37996
Linda Jurczak, Ph.D.
Communication Arts Department
1500 N. Patterson Street
Valdosta, GA 31698
Margaret D'Silva, Ph.D.
Department of Communication
310 Strickler Hall
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
The person selected to receive the Freshley Outstanding New Teacher Award will be honored with a plaque and complimentary tickets to the Association Award Luncheon, where the award will be presented.
2016 - Ryan McGeough
2015 - Mary Beth Asbury
2014 - Siobhan Smith, University of Louisville
2013 - David Terry, San Jose State University
2012 - Casey Malone Maugh, University of Southern Mississippi - Gulf Coast
2011 - Minsun Shim, University of Georgia
2010 - Lora B. Helvie-Mason, Southern University at New Orleans
2009 - Deborah Cunningham Walker, Coastal Carolina University
2008 - Monica Pombo, Appalachian State University
2007 - Billy Wooten, Berea College
2006 - Marcyrose Chvasta, University of South Florida
2005 - Daryl W. Wiesman, Clemson University
2004 - Kandi L. Walker, University of Louisville
2003 - None given
2002 - Frances Brandau-Brown, Sam Houston State University
2001 - Melanie Morgan, University of Louisville
2000 - Vanessa Beasley, Texas A & M University
1999 - Karla K. Jensen, Texas Tech University
1998 - Charla Markhum Shaw, University of Texas, Arlington
1997 - None given
1996 - Carl M. Cates, Valdosta State University
1995 - Enrique D. Rigsby, Texas A & M University